15 February, 2011

Blog 5A - Reframing an Image



I was drawn to the original image because it first off reminded me of people who paint pictures on their hands to look like animals or other objects.  I also was intrigued as to why Goossens chose to represent the senses sight, taste, touch, and hearing, but neglected to put a nose in his picture to represent the sense of smell. My guess is that there is some secret meaning or subtext that Goossens put in his piece that I’m unaware of.  My reframing on the other hand has no hidden meaning or symbolism. I really like the color scheme as well.  There’s not a lot of contrast of colors within the original piece. The shades are all of blue and brown, which fit nicely together.   It creates a warm affinity between the earthy tones used in the hand and the ground, and the blues in the sky. The original picture also has a lot of depth to it.  The objects in the original recede back into the horizon line, and create limited space by framing the lips between the eye and the fist.  In contrast, my reframing is a very flat image. I chose to reframe the image in this way because it focuses on what I think is the most interesting thing in the picture.  Also, by not showing the hand being attached to the ground,  the hand could be attached to an arm.   The framing is also a lot tighter all around the fist, so the rhythm is the picture is really just one solid beat.  There’s not much to look at other than the hand.  The original image has a much more even rhythm.  While the objects vary in closeness to the viewer, they are equal distances apart on a horizontal plane, leading to a very even beat as you move from left to right.  In addition, the eye on the hand in the original falls on the intersection of the top and left thirds and the lower and left thirds, which gives the image a nice balance.   I also think that the original image is more spread out.  Since its rhythm is more even, it’s a little more calming.  However, the reframed picture has much more visual intensity because the picture the fist is thrown right at the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment